Some ramblings and write-ups about tech, music, travelling and other topics.

No wubildr error on 9.10 first restart when installing on windows 7 ... :Wubi_9.10


You have Wubi 9.10, that is you installed Ubuntu 9.10 inside Windows. Even if you do not have any problems right now, there is a fair chance that you will have booting problems after a future kernel update. The booting problems come in many different forms: The Grub menu does not appear at boot up. Instead you get a "grub:rescue>" or "grub:sh>" prompt The Grub menu appears, but trying to boot Wubi results in a kernel panic. The Grub menu appears, but trying to boot Wubi results in "file not found". ... You might experience these symptoms the first time you try to boot Wubi, or after a kernel or Grub update.


To be able to boot Wubi, Grub2 has to access the ntfs partition which is hosting Wubi. There is a bug in Grub 2, which prevents Grub2 to read any files on an ntfs partition beyond the first 4GB. If any of the boot files is outside of the 4GB limit, booting will fail. Depending on which boot file is outside the limit, the symptoms can be quite different. Since any kernel or Grub update relocates some of the boot files, you might be hit by this bug at any time. References:


Warning: The solution below is only for Wubi 9.10. It will make older versions unbootable. Boot into Windows and click on the following link to download the file "wubildr": wubildr Don't try to open the file. Move the file to "C:\" to replace the faulty "C:\wubildr". (to get to "C:\" go to "My Computer" or "Computer" and double click the "C:drive") If Wubi is not on the C:drive, you might need to place wubildr into the partition containing Wubi. So if Wubi is not on the C:\drive, repeat the above instructions, using the drive letter of the partition containing Wubi in place of "C:".

iPhone Safe/Verbose Mode ... -mode.html

nvram boot-args="-v -x"
Update: Okay, that's a lie, just use the SBSettings > Power > Safe Mode

AJAX History Stuff

By using hash and the History jQuery plugin, you can navigate back and forth AJAX loaded contents. TKWeb is now partially AJAX-history-navigatable Source

Git svn - Can’t locate Term/ in @INC

perl -MCPAN -e shell
install Term::ReadKey
perl -MCPAN -e shellinstall Term::ReadKeyexit

SVNListParentPath - 403 parent the uri does not contain the name of a repository

For a while now, I've been getting 403 on the SVN repo parent path I finally decided to tackle this problem. After a bit of digging around, I've found this thread on the svn forum: ... 0c5af7d33. I've commented out the AuthzSVNAccessFile ..., and changed <Location /svn> to <Location /svn/>, and now repository listing is back!

The Great Remine Challenge

I've been trying to get Redmine running on my NAS drive for a while now and I've been getting weird Ruby/Rake/Rails errors (mostly related to version compatibility). I'm not familiar with any of this Ruby stuff at all so I haven't had enough time to solve these problems. But here is what I've done so far.

svn co redmine
and followed Then I got some errors related to not being able to find test/unit/error or something. ... 02366.html So I've cleaned up gems using gem clean. Since I'm using the latest trunk, I figured I should use Rails 2.3.4. But this version of rails is apparently incompatible with RubyGems. So I did a gem update --system to get the latest RubyGems. But now gem cannot find any rake install. So I installed rails 2.3.4 again. Waiting for the install to finish (taking a long time, being a NAS and all) Progress! I've installed the following gems
  • actionmailer (2.3.5, 2.3.4)
  • actionpack (2.3.5, 2.3.4)
  • activerecord (2.3.5, 2.3.4)
  • activeresource (2.3.5, 2.3.4)
  • activesupport (2.3.5, 2.3.4)
  • mocha (0.9.8)
  • postgres-pr (0.6.3, 0.6.1)
  • rack (1.1.0, 1.0.1)
  • rails (2.3.5, 2.3.4)
  • rake (0.8.7)
  • rubygems-update (1.3.5)
After that, redmine was working on Webrick with postgres as the production database. (obviously postgres and the database needed had to be set up according to the official documentation) I then spent ages trying to deploy redmine to apache. First, i tried mongrel:
gem install mongrel Can't remember what the error was, but something to do with mkmf.rb... So I tried passenger, according to :
gem install passenger, again. But this time the error message was more helpful. It complained about the location of gcc. So I made a symbolic link to /opt/bin/gcc as /home/slug/optware/cs05q3armel/toolchain/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/gcc-2005q3-glibc-2.3.6/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc And tried
gem install passenger
... success! And now for the apache module itself:
# passenger-install-apache2-module Something to do with missing apr-1-config and apu-1-config So I downloaded apache2 source, compiled srclib/ and made some symbolic links to the apr-1-config and apu-1-config I've just installed:
ln -s /usr/local/apache2/bin/apr-1-config /home/slug/optware/cs05q3armel/staging/opt/bin/
ln -s /usr/local/apache2/bin/apu-1-config /home/slug/optware/cs05q3armel/staging/opt/bin/
...success! After the module build, I added a new file /opt/etc/apache2/conf.d/passenger.conf:
LoadModule passenger_module /opt/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-2.2.9/ext/apache2/
PassengerRoot /opt/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-2.2.9
PassengerRuby /opt/bin/ruby
# <VirtualHost *:3000>
#   ServerName
#   DocumentRoot /mnt/array1/share/proj.web/redmine/public
#   <Directory /mnt/array1/share/proj.web/redmine/public>
#     AllowOverride all
#     Options -MultiViews
#   </Directory>
# </VirtualHost>
RailsBaseURI /redmine